Thursday, June 10, 2010

....Part Two

#1. So, what, about this (insert your favorite image of Lady Gaga in a horrid, frightening and "hell has broken loose" outfit) makes you say, "Damn, that Lady Gaga is so cool. Look at what an artist she is?!" http://www.radaronline.com/photos/image/69588/2010/06/lady-gaga-attends-sisters-graduation

Here’s why…As I mentioned before, I grew up in Las Vegas. In the 1970s and 80s. I also went to college and majored in fine art, real art, God bless us, in a city filled with Dice Clocks, Elvis on Black Velvet and Dogs Playing Poker paintings. The Art (and Drama and Theater) Departments were worlds away from the nice up-and-coming Hotel Management Majors and Tark’s World Famous Runnin’ Rebels Basketball program. The UNLV Art Department was a four year freak show. We had pink hair, ripped fishnets, and vinyl hot pants. We welded and did performance art. I once went to a student event where an “artist” built a sweet catapult and launched a pig’s head across the gallery while patrons noshed on cheese and crackers. So you see, we were raised in tacky. We created outrageous. The soundtrack of our childhood was lounge music and the jangling of slot machines. This was our norm. Lady Gaga makes catchy tunes, yes, but why I love her is why most people love apple pie and backyard summer barbeques….she’s just like a little slice of home.
#2. When you worked with old people, what was the single most disgusting and/or inappropriate medical-related malady you heard about...among your many options.
I love this question. Hmmmm….is it the detailed blow by blow of the colonoscopy? (They put cameras all up in there now, y’all..) Is it the inflammations and intricacies of Diverticulitis? Oooh! Crohns Disease!! (Google it…I dare you.) Bedsores? Glaucoma? Hip replacement surgery? I think the better question is: “At what age to we decide that explosive diarrhea, open, infected wounds, and inflamed intestinal tracts are conversations to be had in polite (or ANY) company?” I don’t want to get there. If you ever come up to me and say, “Hey Dawn, how’s it going?”, and I launch into a myriad of gynecological issues, information, or procedural details, I give you permission to kill me…Just make sure you describe my death to everyone within earshot in gruesome, bloody Technicolor!

3. If you could live on any reality t.v. show, which one would it be, and why. i.e., to be a part of a family (the Kardashians?), or to have the chance to verbally and/or physically fight whomever you wanted to (Jersey Shore mascot, Snookie? In her case, this would be if you wanted to help her with her hair...and everything else.)
This one is easy, though to preface, I don’t watch much TV at all. I’ve never seen most of the shows that are hugely (and I’m sure disgustingly) popular. Like Jersey Shore. I watched The Kardashians once because Bruce Jenner used to be a huge fan of Godiva before he made his face all weird and married into a freaky family, and, I confess to being a little obsessed with Kim Kardashian. But I digress. If I could be in any reality show I would be a judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race!!!! (Again, I know you haven’t seen it…Google it!) I‘ve seen it once. It is a drag queen rip off of Project Runway. RuPaul=Heidi Klum. My favorite lines from the show: You know how when someone gets voted off of PR Heidi goes, “One day you are in, the next day you are OUT. Auf Wiedersehen! *kiss kiss*” RuPaul says, “SASHAY… AWAY!” to the dejected, voted-off drag queen. Amazing. 2nd favorite quote from RPDR: “Girl…Are you getting’ FIERCE with me?!” OMGsh. Indescribable. Please watch.

4.I'm glad we agree on the fact that Aerosmith are true rock icons who are ACTUALLY lyrically and musically talented, and I love that we have a secret solidarity in agreeing on Steve Tyler's hotness. (That should spark some controversy.) But, tell me why exactly you scoff at, in your words, "indy-wimp musicians" that I happen to enjoy? We agree to disagree here, I'm aware, but I just ask out of curiosity. Not at all out of a desire to correct your misguided opinion.

Oh Misch...you answered the question with the question. Do you really want a dissertation on why Steven Tyler and his ilk are iconic compared to the Whitebread Ben Folds and Death Cab for Bleah Cutie? I‘ll give you the short version with just a couple of poignant examples. Compare/contrast. Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Guns N Roses: 25 year career of ROCKING 3 generations of asses off. *Ben Folds, She and Him, The Arctic Monkeys, and the aforementioned DCFC: responsible for the pussification of the modern rock genre. I will give exception to a few Indie Rockers who actually rock. These bands are exempt from my contempt: Shiny Toy Guns, The Strokes, The Raconteurs, and Babyshambles. Dear Followers, if you hate my answer please refer back to Question #1 where I explain that I am from a culture of tacky and trash. Viva Las Vegas and Long Live Rock …

* For the record, I (michelle) really, really hate Ben Folds's music. (Putting Ben Folds in the same category as Death Cab for Cutie will get you shanked, Dawn.) And I really like Shiny Toy Guns. And also, Dawn, I didn't know you knew She and Him. I'm impressed. Very, very impressed.

2 comments:

  1. Most brilliant line of the post: "responsible for the pussification of the modern rock genre"

    I LOVE THIS BLOG!!
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I told Dawn. Genuis wording. Also, "...before he made his face all weird and married into a freaky family." (Just Michelle)

    ReplyDelete