Friday, June 11, 2010

I'll Take Some Smooth Soft Rock Sophistication, Please.

I'm (Michelle) just going to get this post started, but I'm trusting Dawn (not Michelle) will pick this up and run with it. Or, sail with it, as is more appropriate for this post.

I'd like to take a moment to draw attention to what is either a gift or a curse - depending on your musical preferences. (And how long you can handle it before you puncture your ear drum and experience the warm and calming sound of silence that results.) Welcome....Yacht Rock.

If you happen to have owned a yacht or tramped it up as a yacht owner's accessory with your feathered and frosted hair and heels-with-bikini outfit during the late 1970s to late 80s, then you're probably aware of Yacht Rock. And you probably spent your yacht-trolling days listening to the likes of The Doobie Brothers, Kenny Loggins, Hall & Oats, Ambrosia, Toto, Christopher Cross, anything from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, and the eponymous song, "Sailing."

There are countless other Yacht Rockers to mention, but I'm going to leave that to Dawn or any readers who would like to add the name of your favorite soft rocking, linen wearing, gold investing musician to the list.

Mmmm...lunch time. I've got Hungry Eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Might I add England Dan and John Ford Coley and Gordon Lightfoot to this list of sleepy-eyed pap from the 70's and 80's. This horrendous list is exactly why I spent Junior High listening to T-Rex, Iron Maiden and Deep Purple. When you can choose from the Clash, Judas Priest, Berlin, or Missing Persons, WHY would anyone tune in ON PURPOSE to "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald"? (Which I heard recently as Muzak in Stater Brothers.) My first car was a 1976 Maverick with an AM Radio so I got my share of "The Pina Colada Song" and "Rosanna". I swear on the Scorpions that I'd rather have "The Wheels on The Bus" stuck in my head than this particular brand of vanilla pop drivel.
    just Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- that was quite the intro! Love the "tramping-it-up" comment. I have never heard of yacht rock. Thanks for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete