Sunday, June 13, 2010

Like a Duck on a June Bug

Last night, while trying to relax, cook, and Facebook stalk, my beautiful and smart chocolate lab, Rex kept pestering me to go out. I let him out, in, out, in, out and in before I realized what all of the excitement was about. Our back deck, sliding door screen, and beyond were covered in these obnoxious little brown bugs. They are beetley, kind of, and worst of all they can fly! Not quite normal bug flying, but drunken dipping and lurching through the air. They look very much like Sugar Babies. Well apparently they are also delicious like Sugar Babies. I caught my (well fed!) Rex out on the deck leaping and twisting to devour them in-flight, and snuffling in every corner like a prize-winning truffle hunting sow! I don't know how many he ate before I caught him, but found myself shreiking, "We no eat bugs! We no eat bugs!", (which is NOT the strangest thing my neighbors have heard me instruct to my dogs, now that I think about it). Anyway, these little flying Sugar Babies are plentiful and disgusting, and anyone who has had the pleasure of me regaling them with a detailed description of the aftermath of Rex's delicate digestive system, knows what I am certainly in for later. Sigh.

1 comment: