Saturday, January 8, 2011

Inquiring Minds Want to Know..Wrestling Fans

I have purposely avoided talking here about my former career as a professional GLOW wrestler. Mostly just because until recently (the advent of social media) I honestly didn't think about it very much. It was merely a closed chapter in my fascinating life. Also, I don't know anything about wrestling. No, really I don't. I don't know any of the "greats" of the wrestling world, which makes for interesting conversations with my awesome fans. Yep, I have fans. Irony?

I'm going to support some of the stereotypes about wrestling fans here. I'm not gonna lie, they are, largely, an...um....interesting breed. However, stereotypes are never 100% accurate, and due to technology, I have some educated, funny, godly, smart, creative, new friends who just happen to be rabid wrestling fans.
Let's start with the stereotypes. Rednecks? Some. Uneducated meat-heads? Sure. 'Roided-out wannabe jabronis? (a wrestler with no schtick, no costume, and a lame name like "John Evans" going up against a real wrestler like Hulk Hogan or The Rock or Godiva. A jabroni may get in a couple of good moves, or even get in a "near pin" situation, but will ultimately lose. Courtesy of Urban Dictionary.) YES! They are the most interesting.

Top 10 things you'll never hear a wrestling fan say:
10. I can't decide between Stanford and MIT.
9. I'll take Shakespeare for 1,000, Alex.
8. Wrestling's fake.
7. I just couldn't find a thing at Wal-Mart today.
6. Hey, here's a Wrestlemania PPV that I haven't seen!
5. Honey, do you think my gut's too big?
4. I don't have any priors.
3. Nice nose on the Pinot.
2. Picasso really changed modern art, but I feel like Van Gogh was the genius of our lifetime.
1. Checkmate.

Ok, Fans I apologize. That was almost too easy. My favorite fans: Sweet, uber-flattering fan-boy who actually has become a friend. I want to meet him. College student who adores all things GLOW and is the MOST encouraging, sweetest fan ever. Show biz fan who is smart, clever, and funny...should have his own talk show, also reads this blog! BFFs "Sex in the City girls for the new millenium" who are creative, live in NY, fun, funny, and I wish I could hang out with them. (They were little girls when Godiva had huge, glittery hair and an attitude. Ahhh...my protegees!) My numerous friends who have amazing, intelligent questions about their spirituality and faith...I love you guys. Keep 'em coming...you challenge and inspire me. You guys who work hard to support your families, I respect you. My friend with dual initials who has the same (mostly, except for Mariah, gag) taste in music as me. I heart our conversations. Seriously, I love you guys. I kid, I love.

Hey, I KNOW....this has been a learning for me too.

Wrestling fans. Good topic. But when they are real people in your life, or cyber-life, it changes the conversation. At this point in my life, they are more than screaming, cursing (I was a bad- girl wrestler), autograph seeking, uni-entity. They are people, individuals, who grew up with me, or the Godiva facimile of me, in their living rooms. No, Godiva's not me, but as my husband pointed out tonight, she's me more than a little.

Wrestling fans, I love you, I love you not. You know who you are.

just Dawn

5 comments:

  1. When I was a kid reporter majoring in history, the managing editor I reported to said, "You must like wrestling, kid. It's ok for intellectuals." Well, I'm not, but he brings up a good point: the older wrestling shows were entertaining. Today? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael...It IS ok for intelectuals, and I don't know a dang thing about older vs. newer wrestling shows. I adore you and I hope you recognized your talented, clever self in this post! <3
    just Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I did, except for being intellectual! And I have to tell you this. I'd gone off to grad school at Columbia and was watching baseball in a friend's room on his TV. We flipped the dial between innings and came upon this wrestling show. I pointed at one of the wrestlers and said, "I know her!" He said ... well, I won't quote him exactly, but he didn't believe me. Since you obviously didn't dress the same way around UNLV, I had to think on it. I don't think he believes me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dawn! Mike Rand here! So glad to be your friend on facebook! I enjoy your blogs & our conversations! Can't wait for Thursday's radio show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. truth be told, I googled your glow-ness. But i didn't come up with much. I find it so facinating that you were such a sensation. Maybe one sweet day you'll post a picture...?

    ReplyDelete