Friday, August 3, 2012

Olympics, Let's discuss...

Every four years I actually get excited about sporting events.  Angels, Dodgers, Lakers, and Ducks fans can just take a seat for a minute.  Let me expound without your rabid sports mouth flapping.  If you know me at all, you know that sports hero worship makes me check out of a conversation faster than Charlie Sheen at a National Baptist Convention meet and greet.  Here comes the BUT...Every four years the Summer Olympics in all of it glory, pomp, and tradition rolls onto our television airwaves!  This gives us the opportunity to talk about Badminton and Table Tennis.  "Olympic Badminton Scandal!"  and..."First US Women's Judo Gold Medal!", ripped fresh from the headlines!  Ah, sports doesn't get any better than that!  Can you tell I'm excited?
 
Fascinating Olympic Trivia:
  • Citius, Altius, Fortius.  Olympic Motto, Swifter, Higher, Stronger.  1921, Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Games.  (I told you this was fascinating!)
  • The oldest ever Olympian is Oscar Swahn of Sweden. He was 72 years, 281 days old when he competed at the 1920 Olympics in shooting.  (There is alot to love in this factoid.  I'm considering creating a FB Fan Page.)
  • The first recorded ancient Olympic Games were held in 776 BC....wait for it....IN THE NUDE.  (Take a moment to apply this to YOUR favorite Olympic event!  You are certainly welcome for that visual!))
  • Pigeon shooting was one of the sports on the program in Paris in 1900. Fortunately this shooting event was short lived. It was the only time animals were killed on purpose during an Olympic event.  (Someone explain to me how this is "sporting"?  Color me outraged.)
  • Gabby Douglas: The First African-American Woman to win All-Around in gymnastics.  (YAY!!  LOVE her!!!)
  • #1 viewed event in this year's 2012 Olympics:  Archery.  Yep.  Thanks Katniss!

 All that to say, I would be remiss if I did not offer the International Olympic Committee some helpful, polite advice......
  • Larger swim trunks on the male divers.  I appreciate an athletic physique as much as the next gal, but I'd prefer not to blush or feel creepy during synchronized diving, one of my favorites. 
  • Less swimming.  Please.  Maybe this is a request for NBC, and I'm sure many of you will handily disagree with me, but watching all of the swimming back and forth is much like NASCAR to me....you just know the car is going to make another left.
  • Some insight please on how "sports" get chosen to be in the Olympics.  Shooting?  Tennis in, then out, then back in?  Judo out then back in.  I hear talk of some folks trying to get CHESS into the Olympics.  Please say nay nay, IOC.  That would be more boring to watch than USA's "Dream Team" basketball guys mop up the floor with every poor team from Albania to Zambia.
  • Can we jazz up the gymnastic floor music?  I hear better Muzak in Stater Brothers. 
  • I hear that at the closing ceremonies, everyone is snockered.  Can we get some coverage of that, please?   
Anyhoo, please chime in, (unless you want to tell me how awesome baseball, NASCAR, and swimming are) and enjoy the Summer Olympic Games! 

just Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment