Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sticks & Stones May Break my Bones, but Words will Make me Break Yours

If you're anything like me (Michelle), you can get irritated by very miniscule things very easily. (Although, they're not miniscule at the moment of irritation. Am I right? I know. Thank you for your silent agreement.) I'm not proud of this fact and I know it's something I need to work on, but I also think, "Hey, if I just keep all these irritations in my head and concentrate on not verbalizing my annoyance", then very few people are actually hurt. Correct? Again, thank you for your passive agreement.

Today's irritation will be dedicated to Words I Hate. "Wait, Michelle." you may say. "Don't you really love and adore words and the fact that these odd symbols (letters) that at one time didn't mean anything, actually make a structured sentence, thereby creating communication?!" you may also say. To which I would say, "Yes. Yes, I do love those word things and the reading, talking stuff they do."

But, there are certain words that have always grated on me like....any item that just shouldn't go on a grater. In fact, my sister and I used to sit around and tell each other words that gave us the dumb or cheesy chills (probably her idea), and we'd shudder at words like "gown", or "batch." (My sister's hated words of choice.) So, below are a few of my own words that make me want to pull chunks of my (or anyone else's) hair out....

Dollop

Tote (Even worse as "tote bag.")

Plop

Adult, with the "A" being long: Aaaaadult.

Mature (Again, when pronounced "mateur", removing the blessed "ch" sound which brings to my mind a phyiscs teacher with jerry curl hair, polyester pants that are too short, emphasizing the orthopedic shoes, halitosis breath, and casserole cookbooks on her shelves. Which brings me to another...)

Crock Pot

Plush

Ointment

Any sewing terminology

Well, that's a short sampling, only because I have to leave you now. Feel free to add any of your own despised words in the comment section.


No comments:

Post a Comment