Thursday, June 2, 2011

Movin' on Up.

Moving is fun. I'll bet you've never seen those words written together. But here I am, in my "New Digs" (more on that later) and I've forgotten the pain and hassle of moving. The backbreaking physical WORK of moving all of our belongings from point A to point B and then spit shining point A AND point B. (No, I didn't spit on anything, people, did you just meet me?!) It's kind of like child birth....tons of work and discomfort and pain, and then your whole life is happy and new and wonderful. (Well, for 19 years at least.)

At this point, dear Reader, go back and read my post about Lake Forest. Hey Lake Forest, Hell called, they want to know where they can get some more leaf blowers.

Humorous moving stories: #1. I drugged my dog. Poor Ruby! Both of them must have taken note of that because they have been on their absolute best behavior. #2. I have a cardboard cut out of a "Luau Guy" and a "Hula Bikini Girl", you know, where you put your face in the hole where their face should be and take pictures of Grandma and Grandpa as sexy hula folk. Hilarity ensues. Well the 3 ex-cons we hired from "Super Cheap Moving Company...We'll make ya an offer youse can't refuse!" thought it was hilarious too and I walked in on them posing and snapping photos. Their embarassment was adorbs, especially when I told one of them that that bikini made his boobs look nice. But hey, they got a good Facebook post out of it. #3. Incredible friend Jim shows up to help and works with us all day on both ends. He is carrying in a large box of dishes and the box gives out. The crash was deafening and everyone stood in silence. John was waiting for a serious swear word, I was trying to think of something nice to say so he wouldn't feel bad like, "Oh, I didn't have room for those dishes anyway." and Rick walks in and says, "Hey Ballidis, you're Greek!...OPAHH!!!"
Funny husband AND friend points.

Non-humorous moving stories: #1. 1st night in our new house, glorious sunset, across the street neighbors making us dinner...John's car breaks down on the freeway. Super-size my stress, please! I didn't want any money anyway! #2. Washing machine making clicking sound instead of washing sound. No repairman till Thursday. #3. Plug in my trusty PC and get lines, static, 4 beeps and power off. (Ok, maybe this one is funny, because after I got done panicking, contacting my IT guy on retainer, and removing the battery, I realized that I was using the wrong power cord. User error, again. (I owe said IT guy a box of cupcakes from Frostings.)

WORST part of the move: Money stress, sore back, more money stress. Finding a new Costco, Vet, and Del Taco. Transferring all of my prescriptions. Not being able to find______(fill in the blank...band aids when Rex busted open his tail, box cutter when boxes got 2 stories high, garlic press.) Waiting for the cable guy. I HATE waiting for the cable guy. I despise the phrase "new digs" to describe moving into a new home, and 3 people in a row asked me how the "new digs" are. Did I mention the money stress?

BEST part of the move: The nightly sunset light and color show is a gift. God talks to me in colors a lot, and being here is just confirmation to me that He desires to be close to me. That He wants to make me smile, and He is promising me a colorful smile 365 evenings a year. I AM God's masterpiece, along with His ocean, His sun, and His sky. Wow. It feels amazing to be loved this much. In light of this, you may disregard the previous list of "Worsts". There is no worst when we get all of God's best.

Plus, God doesn't take Visa or Mastercard. Whew! Finally no money stress. If you need me, I'll be on my new patio asking God how to blend orange into purple so seamlessly. (If you are on my Christmas gift list, you are all getting paintings of sunsets. I will try to do Him justice.)

just Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment